By chance just the other day, whilst browsing through my list of iOS apps loaded on the iPhone 6, I happened to come across my old Europe 2009 series of blog posts, which was originally hosted on blogger.com.
Whereas I have the option to utilise a WordPress plugin to automate and simplify the migration of the 27 blog posts to XBOP, I have instead opted for a more manual-based method of transferring the content.
This content migration exercise is not a simple copy and paste exercise, but is an opportunity to also rationalise some of the very short posts which were originally written and posted via iPhone, such that they combine to form a new series of posts. For example, the initial Travel Plan post began life as up to six versions/separate posts. In migrating all content to XBOP, I am taking the opportunity to consolidate them all into a single post/article on the Travel Plan.
The date/time stamp of a posting is being preserved as is back to August/September 2009. Since the last migration of LiveJournal to WordPress resulted in lots of email notifications being generated, this time I will be staggering the migration by pre-loading the posts as drafts and then releasing them in a published state according to my thrice weekly cycle: Monday, Thursday and Saturday, each time as a short collection.
This post will help outline the entire mini-series. The existing set of 27 posts on blogger.com stops part way through my trip. For various reasons I never completed it fully, so this migration will also prompt me to finally fully update the last half of my travels, now some five years on…
For the month of October, whilst the above was planned out, various circumstances led me to taking a break from XBOP website content updates… Nonetheless, as it is now 1 November (at time of writing), not only have I progressed further with the blog migration, but I have also added in feature photos to each post plus two Chatsworth photo galleries.
- Travel Plans, originally posted 2 August 2009, migrated 4 October 2014
- The Day Before Flying Out, 27 August 2009, migrated 4 October 2014
- Airport Blogging, 28 August 2009, migrated 4 October 2014
- London Day #1, 31 August 2009, migrated 6 October 2014
- London Day #2, 2 September 2009, migrated 6 October 2014
- London Day #3, 3 September 2009, migrated 6 October 2014
- London Day #4/Sutton Day #1, 5 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Sutton Day #2 (Lincoln), 5 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Sutton Day #3 (Bakewell), 5 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Sutton Day #4 (Chatsworth House), 8 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Sutton Day #5, 8 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Back to London, 8 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- TopDeck – Europe Uncovered, 20 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014
- Paris Day #1, 23 September 2009, migrated 1 November 2014