Migrated post from Blogger.com. Refer to Europe 2009 Blog Migration.
For this first full day in London, the following took place:
- Took the Tube from Borough to London Bridge – 1 stop on the Northern line.
- Had a look around and walked over London Bridge.
- By chance I encountered the Monument – this is a tower monument erected to commemorate the great fires of London. £3 to go up all 311 steps and receive a certificate.
- From the views I decided to walk to the Bank and from their to St Paul’s Cathedral (inspired by Mary Poppins somewhat)
- Did an audio tour of St Paul’s which included upstairs in the dome (a recurring event was climbing circular stairwells throughout the day…)
- Walked down the block to the Millenium Bridge and across the Thames to the Tate Museum of Modern Art
- Honestly I didn’t really get the modern art… Didn’t spend much time here…
- Walked along Southbank/ Thames River Walk all the way to the Big Ben.
- Continued around to St Margaret’s/Westminster.
Similar to St Paul’s- tourists can’t take photos but you had audio tours offered (£4 @ St Paul’s, free @ Westminster)
- Walked down along St James Park to Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately by this time it was 4pm so the Changing of the Guard was over for the day.
- Walked down The Mall to Trafalgar Square. From there caught the Tube to Baker St.
- Final activity for the day was Madam Tussaud’s – started at 5:45pm…
- Tubed back to Borough and am currently blogging while eating a chicken burger with a Guinness beer.. (fish n chips not avail as it’s a Public Hol)
A couple of thoughts:
- The Tube isn’t too bad, but in contrast Singapore’s MRT is the best experience so far… And Melb is not even worth comparing…
- London is really tourist-friendly: Tesco has this package deal of sandwich of pasta meal + snack + drink = £2!!!!!
- Melbourne’s inner suburbs are clearly based on the architectural styles of London… I find Borough like a Richmond back in Melb… Roads are narrower here and the layout is reminiscent of the sheer age of the city.
- Really love the history and centuries worth of layers built up and up… The monuments, particularly Westminster
- Beer (Guinness) isn’t that bad but I still prefer a glass of red wine anytime!!!
Photos taken: 227 (includes a handful from before today)