Last Sunday (now one week ago) we ran our first service via Mac with ProPresenter! It ran quite smoothly with the only hiccup manifesting in the changed look & feel of the sermon slides… Which was more a user problem – I had incorrectly imported the slides using the wrong setting and given I was also singing and the slides came through 10min before service start, we didn’t test/check them properly. Some minor feedback for adjusting the stage display was also expected as we fine time now.
Today, I look forward to kicking off Step 2 which is to integrate with the basic/free account of Planning Center Online (limited to 10 people/single service type). It frees up Sunday morning time by allowing the planners to have songs all ready, announcements submitted – all during the week.
Today being the first Sunday of August also leads us into the monthly theme of Missions Focus. So, ProPresenter will have a good workout in the next fortnight!
Interestingly, I have managed to get ProPresenter 5 running on our WinXP lighting PC even though it’s not supported. At least it can run our announcement slides in the foyer/cafe…
This has been another church worship tech focused post! Stay tuned for posts wrapping up my MBA (last week of classes here we come!)